Ryanair threatens to ban second free bag

All the Ryanair News

Moderators: EchoVictorOscar, Ryanairflyer, Ryanairmadrid

RyanairBristol
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Ryanair threatens to ban second free bag

Post by RyanairBristol » 25 Jan 2017, 16:39

Passengers flying with Ryanair could be prohibited from carrying two free bags on board in future because flyers are trying to pack too much into them.

Chief executive Michael O'Leary has warned the airline is having problems with its current cabin baggage policy.

"We're struggling at the boarding gate because far too many passengers are turning up with half the contents of their homes now instead of one normal-sized bag and one small bag," he said, adding that some passengers are also arriving at boarding gates with three bags.

"If it doesn't stop, we're going to have to change that policy."

He said the baggage problem is interfering with Ryanair's quick aircraft turnaround procedures because it's having to load cabin bags into aircraft cargo holds. Once a Ryanair plane lands, the airline aims to have it take off again within 25 minutes.

Ryanair's relaxed cabin baggage policy was unveiled in October 2013 as part of its 'Always Getting Better' campaign to improve its customer service.

At the time, the airline said that the new policy would allow a passenger to carry on a normal-sized piece of hand luggage as well as a small, second bag - just big enough to hold a bottle of wine, for instance.

But the warning yesterday is unlikely to be heeded by passengers, meaning Ryanair could well end up reviewing its baggage policy. The airline could make it so expensive to have bags transferred from the boarding gate to the aircraft hold that it eventually deters passengers from trying to bring too much on board.

Due to cabin space limitations, only 90 large cabin bags can be carried in the cabin. The remainder will be carried free of charge in the aircraft hold.

Oversized cabin baggage is refused at the boarding gate by Ryanair, or where available, placed in the hold of the aircraft for a fee of €50, according to the airline's current rules.

Ryanair prefers to have no luggage in the hold to speed up its arrivals and departures.
Source:
http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/t ... 96156.html

Ryanairmadrid
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Re: Ryanair threatens to ban second free bag

Post by Ryanairmadrid » 31 Jan 2017, 08:44

I doubt they will change it back.
But who knows with Ryanair.
If they do it would be very disapointing.

RyanairBristol
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Post by RyanairBristol » 01 Feb 2017, 16:05

It would be a shame but I can see where they are coming from.
I flew from BGY about three weeks ago and there was no room for bags. I we were lucky the flight was not full because they had to store quite a lot of baggage on the chairs.

Ryanairmadrid
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Post by Ryanairmadrid » 15 Feb 2017, 21:40

Here another article on the Independent concerning the 2nd bag on board FR:

'If you abuse it, you lose it' - will Ryanair ban its free second bag?
http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/t ... 34602.html

I really hope they wont remove it, everything had improved so much.
Where will women put their handbags?? It's just not logic.

Ryanairflyer
FR Fan
FR Fan

Post by Ryanairflyer » 06 Sep 2017, 17:09

I would prefer for my 2nd bag to be put in the hold... hands free, It will be taken from you at the boarding gate so you know it will arrive with you.

majosr
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Post by majosr » 06 Sep 2017, 21:03

As per 1 November they changed their cabin luggage policy. See corporate news on the Ryanair website (UK)
Without priority boarding only the 2nd bag is allowed in the cabin. The first one must be 'handed over' at the boarding. They also dropped the 15Kg checked bag, but lowered the price of the now standard 20Kg bag. There are some exceptions, so read the Ryanair corporate news.

Ryanairflyer
FR Fan
FR Fan

Post by Ryanairflyer » 06 Sep 2017, 21:59

Ryanairflyer wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 17:09
I would prefer for my 2nd bag to be put in the hold... hands free, It will be taken from you at the boarding gate so you know it will arrive with you.
**Meant main bag in hold........ and carry if I have a 2nd bag on board with me.
I think its a good move ... but each to their own I guess.

shanesmalle
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Post by shanesmalle » 07 Sep 2017, 06:29

I am all in favour of only 1 bag, but Ryanair is going to limit this to 35 x 20 x 20 which is a lot less than the hand luggage allowed on all other airlines. With this limitation, you will have to put a 17' laptop in the hold as it will not fit in a bag of this size. Ryanair did not think this through or they want you to spend the extra money on taking a larger bag on board. So much for then striving to be better.

phallyka
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Post by phallyka » 11 Sep 2017, 00:34

Chief executive Michael O'Leary has warned the airline is having problems with its current cabin baggage policy.