Cristiano Ronaldo Airport

All off-topic messages

Moderators: EchoVictorOscar, atoutprix

RyanairBristol
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Cristiano Ronaldo Airport

Post by RyanairBristol » 27 Jul 2016, 20:06

Madeira Airport has renamed to Cristiano Ronaldo Airport.
Pilots reckon it to be one of the world’s most difficult airports to land at.

So it’s apt that Madeira Airport has been renamed after the footballer Cristiano Ronaldo, who's widely considered one of the most difficult forwards to play against.

With a statue, wax work, underwear range, fragrance, movie and museum already paying homage to the 31-year-old, you probably thought we had reached peak Ronaldo.

How wrong you were, because this summer the footballer, who was born on Madeira, has taken a surprise segue into the world of travel with the opening of a new hotel in his hometown, Funchal.

Adorned with caricatures of the striker, replica football shirts and faux grass carpet, Pestana CR7 has been described as “one of the world’s most egotistical hotels”.

However, that ego is likely to get even larger with the unveiling of Cristiano Ronaldo Airport.

Formerly known as Madeira International, the decision to name it after the Real Madrid star was announced by Miguel Albuquerque, president of the regional government of Madeira, after Ronaldo visited the archipelago to open his first (yes, there are more in the pipeline) branded hotel.

The news was greeted with a simple “thanks” by Ronaldo, which he Tweeted from a private jet.

Thanks Madeira pic.twitter.com/MMuXLQsHan
— Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) July 23, 2016

He’s not the first footballer to have an airport named after him.

In 2006, Belfast Airport was renamed after George Best, the late Northern Ireland winger.

John Lennon, Mother Teresa and John Wayne also have airports named after them in Liverpool, Tirana and California respectively.

While some passengers will rejoice in hearing pilots announce “we have now arrived at Cristiano Ronaldo Airport,” for others, including England fans, it will be a sore reminder of the forward’s ability to carve through their team's defence.
Read more:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... o-ronaldo/
Personally I can not stand Roanldo. What does everyone else think?

Ryanairmadrid
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Airport

Post by Ryanairmadrid » 29 Jul 2016, 19:54

I wouldn't have done that.
Especially for someone like that.
Name it after someone who achieved any kind of advance for humanity.
Or someone who deserves it due to their merit and hard work (Eg. Mother Teresa... Bari Karol Wojtyla )
Not Ronaldo.

RyanairBristol
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Post by RyanairBristol » 31 Jul 2016, 19:57

Definitely
Its controversial enough naming an airport after a footballer but blood boiling that they name it after this pompus cheat.
I like football but Ronalldo is not comparable to as you say Mother Teresa

Laplant
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Post by Laplant » 23 Jul 2017, 06:57

Ryanairmadrid wrote:
29 Jul 2016, 19:54
I wouldn't have done that.
Especially for someone like that.
Name it after someone who achieved any kind of advance for humanity.
Or someone who deserves it due to their merit and hard work (Eg. Mother Teresa... Bari Karol Wojtyla )
Not Ronaldo.
I completely agree. The guys a footballer and gets an airport named after him. I guess they want publicity and people to visit.