London - Rimini

This thread is for Rumours about new bases or routes in the Ryanair network. Make a topic for each route/destination.

Moderators: EchoVictorOscar, Wouter

Geppo
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

London - Rimini

Post by Geppo » 07 Mar 2016, 13:33

There were rumours in January in the Italian press of Ryanair being in talk with Rimini Airport to reinstate the London flight. Does anybody know more about it?

RyanairBristol
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Re: London - Rimini

Post by RyanairBristol » 07 Mar 2016, 20:17

Interesting.
It was only a few weeks back that Ryanair said they would stop flying to Crotone and cutting bases in Pescara and Algero because Italy introduced a 9EUR tax for passsangers and usual Ryanair responded with the typical service reduction. So I would doubt they were adding new routes there. But who knows what Ryanair will do?

Ryanairmadrid
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Post by Ryanairmadrid » 07 Mar 2016, 20:44

The 9 EUR tax, I don't think its true, otherwise they would cut more bases in Italy. So I don't see the point of cutting only two bases.
Besides, they get so many subsidies from Reggione Abruzzo (Pescara) and Reggione Sardegna (Alghero) for operating there.

I remember that I read a few years ago that Reggione Puglia was paying Ryanair up to 10 MILLION euros in promoting puglia for tourism. And anyway they still get discounted airport taxes from Aeroporti di Puglia.

Here it is: http://www.lagazzettadelmezzogiorno.it/ ... 10mln.html
From 2014 actually

They probably might open STN - RMI route, given the spare A/C capacity at Stansted.

RyanairBristol
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Post by RyanairBristol » 07 Mar 2016, 20:56

That is a lot of money in subsidies.
They have cut routes at Pescara, according to the wiki page
Beauvais (ends 1 November 2016), Bergamo, Charleroi, Hahn (ends 1 November 2016), London-Stansted (ends 1 November 2016),
Seasonal: Girona (ends 1 November 2016), Weeze (ends 1 November 2016)
and at Alghero
Bergamo, Bologna, Bratislava, Cuneo (ends 25 March 2016), Eindhoven, Girona (ends 26 March 2016), London-Stansted, Madrid (ends 26 March 2016), Pisa, Rome-Ciampino (ends 25 March 2016), Treviso (ends 26 March 2016)
Seasonal: Charleroi, Hahn, Memmingen
Shame I like Alghero
Also this is what FR said
“After a record year for tourism across Europe and another strong year ahead, the Italian government has decided to shoot itself in the foot by hiking passenger taxes by almost 40%,” Ryanair CCO David O’Brien said.

“As the largest airline in Italy, carrying 27 million customers to and from Italy annually, Ryanair has been left with no choice but to close two of our 15 Italian bases and move our aircraft and pilots and cabin crew to lower cost tourism countries.

“This tax hike will severely damage Italian tourism, particularly around regional airports where Ryanair brings millions of visitors each year, contributing millions of euro to local economies through high tourist spends, while supporting thousands of jobs. Indeed, at a time of over 40% youth unemployment, tourism is one of the few industries that can stimulate rapid job creation for young people in the regions of Italy.

“Ryanair calls on the Italian government to scrap this damaging tax increase and has requested an urgent meeting with the government.”
but having said that they are opening routes at Milan and Rome too I think. I imagine it would depend on how much Rimini route is worth to FR`s profits.

Ryanairmadrid
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Post by Ryanairmadrid » 07 Mar 2016, 21:15

http://www.cityrumors.it/notizie-pescar ... scara.html
Closing Pescara on 27 October 2016.
But wonder why they will still leave the Bergamo and Charleroi route open.

RyanairBristol
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Post by RyanairBristol » 07 Mar 2016, 21:30

The only reason I could think of is that the a/c for that route is sourced from Bergamo or Charleroi.