Domestic Flights within the Canarie Islands, Spain

This thread is for Rumours about new bases or routes in the Ryanair network. Make a topic for each route/destination.

Moderators: EchoVictorOscar, Wouter

Ryanairmadrid
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Post by Ryanairmadrid » 17 Oct 2016, 07:13

What about the Canary Islands, is there any chance that FR will operate frequent services in between the different islands, ...
- Runways conditions: Good, all islands except (Gomera and El Hierro) can easily accomodate a B 737-800 (3 200m runways, except Lanzarote 2 400m) and most have ILS Cat.3.
- Competition: Binter Canarias is allready there and they operate smaller aircraft on a frequent point-to-point basis.

Canary Islands Airports

Pro's:
- FR might benefit from Regional incentives and airport tax reducal.
- Good way to increase regional transportation's market share in the Canaries.
- Short flights (15-20 minutes), more flights can be made per day - high utilization

Con's:
- Flights are too short - High aircraft usage, not good.
- Sea wind corrosion for aircraft parts.
- Aircrafts don't get to climb to cruise altitude (33 000ft) - flights too short.
- Increased competition form ferry companies.

Besides, will they ever fill up 189 seats for each flight, considering that many people travel by boat since they can take their car around the different islands.

I wonder if Ryanair might start these routes and if their business model would work considering their current fleet...

What do you think?

ryanadmin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Domestic Flights within the Canarie Islands, Spain

Post by ryanadmin » 19 Oct 2016, 08:53

I don't think Ryanair will operate on such short flights. Maybe if they have a transfer system for passengers, but until that moment it won't be profitable, in my opinion. How much should such a flight cost? €10? €15?

Ryanairmadrid
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Post by Ryanairmadrid » 20 Oct 2016, 06:36

Yes, the idea is that the could move all of their Flights out of the Canaries to 1 airport and then they could transfer all passengers into the different islands.
Anyway I think that won't happen, but the idea isn't too bad.

There should be a fixed price for all domestic flights within the islands. Maybe 10€???

RyanairBristol
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Post by RyanairBristol » 23 Dec 2016, 16:49

If it is anything like it is with the Azores and Madeira I don't think it's possible, for some reason they have to be negotiated with the government. I have a felling this might be the case with the Canaries